There’s seems to be a special day for mostly everything now (yesterday it was #worldplantmilkday) and tomorrow we’ll be celebrating National Burger Day in our own fun way: DIY Burger Shortbread Cookies!
I’ve adapted my trusty Stork Shortbread recipe to make these- they take about 1.5 hours to prep, bake and put together so they’re a fairly quick and super fun way to add a twist to your #NationalBurgerDay celebrations. These can be made Vegan too- so I’ve added the alternative ingredients with (vg) in my recipe below:
For the Shortbread
125g Stork Margarine
175g Plain Flour
50g Caster Sugar
1 Egg (whisked) / Coconut Milk (vg)
Ready Roll Icing
Red Fizzy Laces / Red Ready Roll Icing (vg)
HOW TO: (watch my tutorial video here)
- Mix all the shortbread ingredients by hand to create a soft dough.
- Roll to approx 0.75cm thick and cut into rounds with a 5cm cutter. I cut 6.
- With the excess, split into 6 equal parts and roll into balls. Use the palm of your hand to flatten these into dome shapes.
- Bake for 12 mins / until very light golden on 150C or 300F.
- Remove from oven and brush with egg/coconut milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Bake for 5 mins more
LET THEM COOL!
Burgers and fillings:
- Mix the Icing Sugar, Cocoa and stork to make a thick butter cream.
- Place in a piping bag and pipe burger rounds using a thick plain nozzle or cut the end of a disposable piping bag.
- Use the ready roll icing to make your cheese squares and lettuce leaves. I bought a block of yellow then used a little blue food colouring to make some green for the leaves.
- Cut your red fizzy sweets into semi-circular “tomatoes” (or use more red ready roll icing if you’re making the vegan version.)
- Layer up your burgers with “cheese, lettuce and tomatoes” and pop the top of the buns on.
AND YOU’RE DONE!
Let me know if you have a go at these- I’d love to know how you get on!
WATCH MY HOW-TO VIDEO:
PIN THIS FOR LATER: